Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Day At The Museum

I had the wonderful privilege of attending the grand opening of the Creation Museum yesterday and it was truly spectacular. Designed by a former Universal Studios exhibit director, the museum does a wonderful job of clearly defining the literal view of Genesis, defining what special creation is, why there is suffering on the earth today, and also presents the clear and Biblical plan of salvation. A great point is made throughout as well that there is no such thing as "brute facts", but rather, all facts are interpreted. Since Creationists have a different starting point (God created) than Evolutionists (Atheism/Agnosticism), the same scientific facts are therefore interpreted differently.

On a rather humorous note, we were met at the Museum's entrance by about 100 protester's (see pictures below) "warning" us about going in to the museum. Secular society seems to possess and preach one single virtue, tolerance, and from the looks of things yesterday they aren't doing a very good job of upholding their single virtue. Amidst the hate messages, put downs and profanity that was being spewed by this (in)tolerant group (Note that some signs below equate teaching Creation to children as child abuse, and one calls home schooling child abuse) I decided to pull over to take a few pictures. I planned on saying nothing, but one man called out to me and asked me if I was going to the museum. When I answered in the affirmative he told me to be very critical when I go in there. I asked the man if he'd heard of the Scientific Dissent From Darwinism. He replied that there was no such thing. I kindly told him to Google that phrase and be enlightened. He was speechless. I have since learned that there is also an organization called "Doctors doubting Darwin."

It's amazing, but judging from the signs upheld and some of the ignorant comments, many of these folks have evidently blindly followed the lemmings off of the cliff on this issue. They literally have no idea that there is a mountain of science behind Creationism, nor do they realize that there are many scientists behind Creationism as well. I truly felt sorry for these spiritually blind souls. By the looks of some of their faces they really felt they were doing a service of some sort. Romans 1:21-22 speaks about such people:

"Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. The result was that their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they became utter fools instead."

On one final humorous note, as we got out of our van we were noticing the airplane flying overhead (pictured below) with banner in tow that said: "DEFCON Says: Thou shalt not lie!" I looked at my wife and said, "What's DECON?" She informed me that DECON was rat poison and the word was "DEFCON". How oddly appropriate.

See pictures from protest HERE.

No comments: