Wednesday, May 9, 2007

"The Firewall is DEAD"

I consider myself a computer savvy individual. I pretty much know what needs to be done to keep a computer safe. I just recently updated my anti-virus/firewall software (Trend Micro Internet security 2007) for another year, but after reading stuff like this I don't get a feeling of invincibility. So far I've had some good luck not getting many viruses. Now I'm not saying I've never had any, because I have. Many of them were out of my control. A couple of weeks back I read somewhere that www.asus.com had an .ani virus. So I went ahead and went there because Microsoft released a patch to protect against that certain .ani virus. I was wrong, I got hit by the virus and my hard drive started thrashing, I could hardly do anything at all. I was able to get rid of it after a virus scan and a system restore, but it wasn't easy. The problem wasn't that my computer wasn't up to date, because it was. It turned out to be a Zero-Day attack which takes advantage of computer security holes when there is no security solution available. After reading this article I have more of an understanding of what went on. We all should know not go to stupid places on the internet and expect it to be safe. After reading that article I see that many of our known "safe" websites can end up being dangerous much like that Asus website. The internet is becoming more and more uncontrollable which is a very destructive nature. Be sure to keep your computer patched and your AV up to date as often as possible and switch to Firefox. May the Lord Bless!

No comments: